SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Baptist Alley  (Read 3717 times)
Gene C
Full Member
***
Posts: 218


Fido


View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2016, 10:36:19 AM »

Great photos Joe. 
Really enjoyed looking through them.
Logged

The more you know, the more you think the less you know, because you know that you don't know.  The less you know the more you think the more you know, because you don't know that you don't know. 
 (Not bad for an old dog)
Joe Gleason
Hero Member
*****
Posts: 808



View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2016, 12:25:48 PM »

Thanks Gene!  Smiley
I'm still working on a title search for the house on the lot where the stable was located.  I've traced the owners of the house back to 1890 and hope to have the name of the person who owned it in 1865 very soon. Thanks again for your interest in the subject and stay tuned!

« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 10:53:52 AM by Joe Gleason » Logged
Joe Gleason
Hero Member
*****
Posts: 808



View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2017, 06:51:47 AM »



The title search includes Lots 1-4 in square #377. ( lower right corner ) This is an extract from the land record pertaining to the store of Joseph W. Davis.

      ... That the said William T. Smithson and wife for and consideration of the sum of three thousand dollars
current money of the United States, to them in hand paid, at or before the sealing, and the delivery of the presents, by the said Joseph W. Davis the receipt of which is hearby acknowledged, have given, granted, bargained, and sold, released and confirm unto the said Joseph W. Davis his heirs and assigns forever, all that certain piece or parcel of ground and premises situated, lying and being in the said city of Washington and
District of Columbia, and known and distinguished on the ground plat or plan of said city as parts of lot one (1)
and lot (2) in square numbered three hundred seventy seven (377) beginning for the same at the southeast
corner of said square and running thence north with the line of Ninth Street twenty feet, thence west ninety one feet seven and a half inches, thence south to the line of E Street, twenty feet, thence east to the place of beginning. Deed recorded September 14, 1860, in Liber J. A . S. No. 193


Hopefully I'll have a completed title search on Lot 4 very soon. It's proving to be a difficult search, but I do have a
Simon Oppenheimer as the possible owner of Lot 4 before 1890.  We'll see   ...only 25 years to go but I'm going to find who lived in the house at the time of the assassination.

The house, torn down decades ago, would have been very similar to these gems still standing at Naylor Court.

                  


 



 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 02:47:04 PM by Joe Gleason » Logged
Joe Gleason
Hero Member
*****
Posts: 808



View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 06:08:13 PM »

Simon Oppenheimer was indeed the owner of lot 4 in square 377 in 1890. The house on the lot where the stable was located was deeded to Oppenheimer by Justin S. Morrill and his wife Ruth. Mr. Morrill holds his own special place in American history.  Read more at..http://muse.jhu.edu/book/8901

http://www.newenglandhistoricalsociety.com/justin-morrill-vermonter-charles-dickens-accused-starting-civil-war/

C-SPAN / Friendship between Constantino Brumidi and Justin Morrill
https://www.c-span.org/video/?327807-1/discussion-constantino-brumidi-

One of Brumidi's last paintings was done at the home of Justin & Ruth Morrill.


    
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 07:32:32 AM by Joe Gleason » Logged
Joe Gleason
Hero Member
*****
Posts: 808



View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2017, 04:25:15 AM »

An interesting article that includes the story of Booth's remains being brought to a stable in Baptist Alley.

Description: Body of Wilkes Booth / Revival of Report that Assassin Effected Escape / Desire For Investigation - Transfer of Remains to the Family of Deceased / Identification Was Complete / Opening of the Ordnance Chest That Contained the Corpse

Date: January 5 1907

Evening Star Newspaper published in Washington, DC

Since the assassination of President Lincoln by John Wilkes Booth at Ford's Theater the night of April 14, 1865, there have been questions raised as to the identity of the assassin and of the body which, after interment for four years in the grounds of the Washington arsenal, in 1869 found a permanent resting place with his kindred in Greenmount Cemetery in Baltimore. And now, after nearly forty years, the story that Booth in some manner made his escape and under another name lived for many years is again revived. This time it appears in the form of a letter to Speaker Cannon asking a Congressional investigation of the subject to determine whether the body of John D. Heley, who committed suicide at Enid, Oklahoma, in 1903 is not the body of the assassin. The suggestion is made that if such is the case the body be placed on exhibition in a museum as an object lesson.

That this story has perhaps no other foundation than that the party in question may have borne a striking resemblance to Booth and had woven an air of mystery around him by his reticence as to his antecedents is evident. From time to time such stories have been put forth, one from South America, another from Texas and still another from Georgia. Were they true, Booth resided in several far distant localities at the same time. It is said that in the Georgia case the people who associated with the party suspected as the assassin were so well satisfied that he (a school master) was the real Booth that to this day they repeat the assertion.

That Booth escaped from the theater after firing the shot and rode across the Navy Yard bridge, through Prince George and into Charles county, Maryland, and later crossed the Potomac; that he was pursued and wounded during this attempt to capture him near Bowling Green, Virginia, are facts which cannot be controverted.

Identity of Assassin

Mr. Lincoln was removed from the box in the theater a very short time after the shot had been fired to the Petersen house opposite, then 516 10th street, now known as the Lincoln Memorial Museum; and died there at an early hour in the morning, which fact was announced by the tolling of bells. The fact as to who the assassin was and the manner of his escape from the building and mounting a horse held waiting for him in the alley was soon learned and pursuit was given. It must be confessed that had it not been for the lack of horses by our police force until early in the morning his capture might have been effected within a few hours. Police headquarters was then in the square south of the theater and in less than an hour Major Richards and his men had secured information as to the direction taken by Booth. A request was made of the government for horses, but, as stated, several hours elapsed before they were furnished and other parties had obtained a start. That every exertion to capture the parties and hold them secure for trial was apparent in the movements and orders of the government officials and that prompt measures were taken for the confinement of such is seen in the order which reached Commodore Montgomery at the Navy Yard by 10 o'clock:

"If the authorities arrest the murderer of the President take him to the Navy Yard and place him on a monitor."

The ironclads were the Montauk and the Saugus , then lying in the stream on which some of the workmen were employed, and they from April 18 to the 29th were used as prison ships.

Escaped Into Virginia

It having been ascertained that Booth escaped into Virginia, Lieutenant Colonel Conger with some of Baker's force and a detachment of the 16th U.S. Cavalry, under the command of Lieutenant E. P. Doherty went in pursuit. He was tracked to Garrett's farm near Port Royal, beyond the Rappahannock river. He then took refuge in a barn which was fired, and of the soldiers, Boston Corbett, taking aim at Booth, the ball pierced the latter's neck. The party, with Booth in a wagon, started at once for Acquia creek to board a boat. Before reaching that point Booth died. Corbett's shot passed through the spinal cord in his neck and the lower part of his body was paralyzed, but in the few hours he lived after receiving the wound he appeared conscious at times and was heard to say as he gazed on his hands "Useless, useless."

There were two or three others brought along by the party, and, with the body of Booth, came on the steamer from Acquia creek. It was shortly before 2 o'clock on the morning of April 27 that the members reached the Navy Yard, and the members of the party were transferred to the monitors. The prisoners were placed in confinement on a monitor and in the yard, and the body of Booth, wrapped in an army blanket, was placed on the Saugus.

That the news of the arrival of the body caused excitement is evident, and in the Yard it was difficult for the many workmen to perform their tasks, and there were hundreds who endeavored from the wharf to secure a look at the body, while every one believed to possess information was held up.

Commodore Montgomery gave orders for the making of a box for the remains, and when it became known that such was the case there were men who expressed a wish to drive a nail in it.

Communication with the monitors was restricted to those bearing a pass signed by both Secretaries Stanton and Welles.Lieutenant Frank Munroe, with a guard of Marines, enforced the orders.

Surgeons Examine Body

While Booth's body reposed on the monitor, men of Baker's force as well as cavalry, were about, and there were a few visitors. A girl who had known Booth well was taken aboard by one of Baker's men, and on identifying him attempted to cut a lock of his hair, but was prevented. During the day Surgeon General Barnes, with one or two assistants and Dr. J. F. May went aboard the monitor. The latter, having removed from the back of Booth's neck during life a tumor, identified the body from the cut, as well as from his general knowledge. In the afternoon General Barnes and others were seen around the body, and it was afterward learned that from the neck was taken a section or two of the vertebras with some of the spinal cord. This showed the course of Boston Corbett's bullet, by which death was caused, and these now are among the anatomical specimens at the Army Medical Museum.

The government being satisfied with the identification of the body, its disposition claimed attention. It was left sewed up in the army blanket on the bench, and as General Barnes and party departed some mysterious movements were observed. A report was prevalent in the Yard and elsewhere that a vessel of war and the U.S.S. Wachusetts, then lying in the river, would take the body to sea and consign it to oblivion. There is no doubt that the story emanated from General L. C. Baker's force, as in his published history of his life such a disposition of the corpse is related and pictured. And although there were some movements calculated to bear out the story, The Star announced within a few days that the body had been buried at the arsenal.

It was about 2:30 o'clock when one of the small steamers of the quartermaster's department moved up the Eastern branch and made fast to one of the monitors. Then a boat was rowed out from the yard and about the monitors and finally to the steamer. From the shore spectators were straining their eyes to decipher what was going on, and soon saw what had the appearance of a body carried to the steamer, and a few minutes later a similar looking object followed. The steamer immediately cast off and soon rounded Glesboro Point and steamed southward.

Proceeded to Arsenal

The small boat in which were a Naval officer, four sailors and two of Baker's men pulled away about the same time and in anything but a direct course reached the arsenal front. There the party was landed on a wharf and a sentry was stationed to prevent intrusion. Some of Baker's men and a War Department official were in consultation with Major J. G. Benton,the commandant, during the afternoon, some of the former remaining till after nightfall.

The old penitentiary building extending across 4th street was then used by the ordnance department and it was determined that a grave be dug in one of the cells for the reception of the body. Two stalwart laborers with pick and shovel made the attempt, but in an hour or two reported the difficulty of the work and a new site was selected. It was in the old store room of the building, which, being paved only with brick, facilitated the digging of a grave. After nightfall the body was removed from the wharf, after being placed in an ordnance or musket box or case, and carried into the penitentiary inclosure to the place prepared and buried without ceremony. There were present a representative of the War Department, who took the key of the room when the door had been closed; Colonel Benton, the commandant, some of Baker's men and three or four of the arsenal workmen.

When in 1867 the central portion of the penitentiary was about to be razed, the remains were exhumed and placed in the north end of No. 1 storehouse of the arsenal.

In February, 1869, as the administration of President Johnson was drawing to a close, Edwin Booth secured from him an order for the body that it might be interred in the family lot at Greenmount cemetery, Baltimore. That day a Star reporter was approached by Mr. R. F. Harvey of HARVEY and MARR, undertakers, who remarked:

"Don't ask any questions, but be at our place at 6 o'clock this evening, as one of my assistants, and you will get a good item. Promise to Be There"

"I'll be there," was the response, and as the hour struck the reporter passed through the office to the workroom on the alley and there joined the workmen.

Mr. W. R. Speare, then a boy, had just entered the service of the firm to learn the business. An hour or so before Mr. Edwin Booth and Mr. J. H. Weaver, a Baltimore undertaker, were there consulting with Mr. Harvey, and the latter told Mr. Speare to go to the avenue and hire a furniture wagon to go to the arsenal to get something and to meet them at the arsenal gate. Mr. Speare did so, Messrs. Weaver and Harvey going down in a carriage. They proceeded to the store house and workmen brought out the box. Then it dawned upon Mr. Speare's mind that the fact that the undertaker's wagon was not taken was to ward off suspicion. A receipt was given to an officer and in a little time the wagon with the corpse was in the alley from which Booth had rode four years before. The little company in the shop were in waiting and the rumble of wheels was hailed with the remark, "There they are !",  simultaneously with Rich Harvey's call: "Come here, now!" as the wagon was backed into a stable.

The box was removed by the assistants, including the volunteer, and placed on trestles, as was also an ordinary coffin brought from the shop. The arms chest was quite light. When a lantern had been produced the scene was a weird, uncanny one. The box was somewhat decayed about the joints, but when with little difficulty the lid was removed the blanket with which the corpse had been covered showed but little evidence of decay.

Blanket Thrown Aside

The blanket on being thrown aside revealed what remained of the body and clothing. The latter was in shreds from decay, and the body was almost denuded of flesh and skin, some of the bones being bare.

Mr. WEAVER seemed anxious that the remains be identified and picked up the head, examining it carefully. Some blotches of flesh and skin adhered to the cheek and jawbones, and the fine suit of hair for which Booth was noted was still on the head. Except for the mildew and clamminess it was in fine order, and the remark was made by some who had known Booth that it was an instance of hair growing after death, for it was an inch or more longer than it had been his custom to wear. The head was resting on decayed shavings, and one of the party plucked what he thought to be a loose lock of hair, which afterward was found to be a shaving. The head was taken up by Mr. Weaver, who examined it with interest, and a dentist from Baltimore being called from the front office in which Edwin Booth was awaiting developments next examined it. After looking intently at the teeth, he said: "This is Wilkes Booth, for this is some of my work."

The head was passed from hand to hand by the others, and Messrs. Weaver and Harvey examined other portions of the body, or, rather, what remained of it. The boots were found, one with one leg missing and a slit converting it to a shoe; and it was recalled that some of the witnesses before the military commission had testified that Booth had had one of his boots so cut to relieve the pressure on the leg in which he had a broken bone.

Edwin Booth, having secured the report of the dentist, as well as that of Messrs. Weaver and Harvey as to the identification, left with the dentist. The sides of the blanket in which were the remains were lifted gently to the coffin, a temporary affair, and in a few hours they were in Baltimore, where they were interred at Greenmount. Of the company who were present when the transfer was made from box to coffin only Mr. Speare and the writer survive.

This statement should be sufficient to dispel all remaining doubts. Booth was recognized at the time he fired the shot, traced to the place of his capture, was known personally by some of the captors, his body identified by several as it laid at the Navy Yard. And, though a mystery surrounded the disposition of the body and the current rumor was that it was buried at sea, The Star, the Monday following, announced the place of burial; and when the body, thirty-seven years ago, was disinterred and delivered to the family, the identification was complete.


The Ford map shown below has Booth's stable offset with the F Street entrance, and about 15 feet from the stable in the photograph. According to the Baist Map, Ford was mistaken because the property line on the Baist map is in the center of the F Street alley. This same line can be found on Washington DC fire insurance maps dated 1857 thru 1888.
 







I placed this red box on the ground exactly 150 feet from the back of the theatre.  


« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 07:09:46 PM by Joe Gleason » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
 
Jump to: