SMF - Just Installed!
Username  
Password
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: the strangest Lincoln assassination play ever?  (Read 565 times)
Steven G. Miller

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2016, 02:46:43 PM »

During my lunch hour I was poking around on line and found this article about a Chinese play about the Lincoln assassination.  Have you ever heard of it before:

“Negro Sailor in Chinese Play Slayer of Lincoln,” New York Evening Post, April 18, 1925.

“Evening Post Foreign Service.

“Hongkong, April 13. A Chinese play which is drawing crowds of natives to a theatre here, and which pretends of give a dramatized version of the American Civil War, depicts Abraham Lincoln as having been murdered by a negro sailor who was shortly afterward captured and punished by the Ku Klux Klan. All the members of the cast are Chinese and all wear native costume.

“Lincoln appears on the stage in an elaborate costume of the Ming Dynasty, with a flowing black beard which reaches his waist, and the murder is represented as having taken place in his garden one evening when he went out to admire the summer blooms.”

I imagine that there was a loud spinning sound coming from the Booth family plot in Baltimore. Johnny would not have liked idea that a black man would have been cast as the man who shot Ol' Abe.  I wonder if the Chinese actor who played the sailor/assassin wore blackface?

Randal
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 09:15:33 PM »

hahaahhahahaha! Chinese Blackface? I now wonder if Jolson sued him for infringement?  Wink

"Go to Heaven for the Climate, or go to Hell for the Company". Mark Twain
Joe Gleason

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 12:41:06 PM »

Never heard of it before, but it was probably just as entertaining as THE PRISONER of SHARK ISLAND  Cheesy which came out in the 30's.  Not so good  Embarrassed
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: